Good thing I love to waste time blog surfing and came across this post from Gertie about petticoats! So, I headed to JoAnn's and purchased both the magazine and all the supplies for 3 petticoats. They were easy and came together fairly fast. I made and finished all 3 on Memorial Day (shout out to Ron for being Mr. Mom!!).
The hardest part was gathering the tiers, and then attaching them all while maintaining an even fullness. My thread kept breaking when I was gathering, so I tried using 100% polyester thread, but it didn't make any difference. So, I started googling. One person suggested fishing line - horray! Ron has an entire box of fishing line in the garage. So, I hand wound it around a bobbin. It worked for a bit, but started getting stuck under the feed dogs. So, I just moved it to the thread spool, and used it there.
For the most part, I am really happy with them. They are super cute under the dresses and the bias finish looks so good!
I decided to attach the girl's to an undershirt and sew a piece of lining under the petticoat to help prevent all of the itchies from the nylon net. This was an awesome idea! Not only did it make it easier for them to get dressed, but the undershirts also acted as a lining, so their dresses were not too transparent.
Now they are asking to just wear the slips!